Monday, November 5

Thanksgiving Season! A Daily List...

We're in November now which means it is time to show off our thanks!  Each day this month there will be something I am thankful for that I will discuss/share.  I won't post it every day, but instead every few days.  So, here's the start of this blogging project!




Nov. 1: I was especially thankful that I had just celebrated another birthday; another year I get to learn new things, grow in my personal strengths, and be witness to the most amazing little children I could ask for.

Nov. 2: This one's a long one.... I am thankful for the people that dedicate their time to helping animals have a voice and give them love and care they so deserve.  Let me give you the history on this "thanks"...   

When I was pregnant with Matt, I found this little Jack Russell Terrier wandering around a very busy road by Interstate 85.  I scooped him up, and quickly learned that he was an awesome dog.  Of all the dogs I have tried to rescue and find homes for, this was the only one that Jason allowed in the house, on our couch, and into our hearts. 

"Puppy", as we called him, was for sure someone's pet that had wandered miles and miles from home.  {We one time found a Basset Hound that had a collar on him; we called the owners and they lived in Cumming, GA!  That's over 40 miles from us!}  I just couldn't give him to a shelter that I knew wouldn't give him a chance.  He was so well-behaved, loveable, and just a really badass dog!  I luckily found him a spot at Clayton County Humane Society, a no-kill shelter in a town about 30 minutes south of Atlanta. So after two weeks of no replies from our ads and signs, I drove down to give "Puppy" a new shot at a happy life. 

I cried driving away for the shelter, but promised myself I would keep tabs on him and pray for his adoption to a great home.  Jason even told me that if he was still there when our dog died, we could go adopt him.  {Hey, since it's a no-kill/no-transfer shelter, they have some dogs and cats that have lived there for 10 years!}  The shelter sends out quarterly newsletters and every time I got one, I would go online to see if "Puppy", who was renamed "Stewart" was adopted.  For over two years, I would check the website, and I would still see his picture under "Adoptable Dogs".  Flash forward to November 2nd, 2012...

I got the fall 2012 newsletter from CCHS and low and behold, my "Stewart" found a home.  Not just any home!!  One worth writing about in the newsletter!  Check out this incredible story!



I can't believe it!  For me, I just can't help but think that animals have little guardian angels, too.  Such a cool story!  If you are someone who likes to donate for animal causes, please consider sending a little something to the Clayton County Humane Society.  They are one of very few no-kill humane societies in Georgia {many more claim to be, but truly aren't no-kill} and they need all the help that they can get.  Follow their link above for information about them or to donate.  Even something as small as a few dollars can help tremendously.  A rabies shot is only $10!

Nov. 3: I am thankful for my parents and the support they have always given me.  I can honestly say my parents are the perfect people to have by my side, from the day I was born until now, and hopefully many more years!

Nov. 4: On Sunday I was thankful for pilots and TSA.  Yep.  Those bastard TSA folks.  :)  Jason's been traveling a couple Sundays recently, and I'm glad that -- although super annoying -- the TSA people run bags through security checks, etc.  And I'm thankful for the pilots who {hopefully} take their job seriously enough to take off and land the planes safely so that my baby-daddy makes it back home to us all in one piece.

Nov. 5: Today, I'm thankful for the ability to be a stay-at-home-mom.  My kids come first.  PERIOD.  They really do, so I go without making a little extra money and having normal adult conversations every day so that I can be home with them and for them... making them breakfast every morning, driving them where they need to go, playing with them when they're bored, and snuggling them when they're sick on a weekday.  It's a blessing that I don't forget :)

No comments:

Post a Comment